Department of Traffic Engineering (O35)
Department of Traffic Engineering particularly focuses on traffic surveys, data analyses, visualization, modelling and prognoses of traffic. We prepare materials for traffic management and regulation, for related fields of road design and transport planning, for fields focused on transport impacts on noise, emissions, etc. We bring to traffic engineering new findings, technologies and know-how from abroad with the aim to improve safety and capacities of newly built roads, based on research projects from various providers and experience from commercial projects. The results are disseminated within publishing activities of the department.
Traffic surveys (manual and automated), measurement and monitoring of traffic-engineering characteristics
- direction surveys (incl. cordon surveys), potentially with the use of camera systems,
- surveys of volumes (profile), share of transit traffic, etc.,
- surveys of pedestrian, cycling traffic, public transport, static traffic (parking),
- speed measurement (spot, continual, section),
- measurements of vehicle gaps and other traffic flow characteristics,
- performing junction traffic surveys.
- capacity assessment of roads and junctions,
- effectiveness analyses of traffic-engineering measures,
- transport network optimization design,
- existing situation analyses and traffic situation improvement design,
- traffic-engineering measures to improve road safety and traffic flow.
Expert opinions and technical studies
- production of traffic engineering studies,
- traffic management studies,
- solutions for quiet traffic, pedestrian and cycling traffic.
Within our research activities we have participated in the following R&D projects:
Projects, which we lead
- TEMPO 30 – Guidelines for General Traffic Calming,
- IDEKO – Identification and Solution of Critical Sites and Road Segments on Road Network that Stimulate, by their arrangement, Illegal Behaviour or Misconduct of Road Users,
- EFEKTIV – Research of Effectiveness of Suitable Treatment of Large Junctions with the use of Analyses of Traffic-engineering Parameters,
- OPKON – Impact of Road Lighting on Road Accidents,
- BARUZO – Colour Treatment of Intervention Fire Vehicle,
- FLEXI – Implementation of Flexible Bollards as Urban Engineering Elements,
- Critical Analysis of Data Used for Road Safety Assessment,
- Catalogue of Testing Areas for Autonomous Vehicles,
- Junctions – Research of Suitable Treatment of Junctions in relation to Capacity and Environmental Impacts.
Projects, where we cooperated
- CHODCI – Research of New Approaches to Protection of Pedestrians, Solutions to Vehicle Collisions with Moving Pedestrian Figure,
- Akt Syst – Development of Active Bonnet System Taking into Account Variety of Human Population and Implementation of a Human Body Biomechanical Model.