Division of Transport Technologies and Human Factor
Area of human factor in transport and transport modelling
Thematic area consists of a wide range of experts in natural, social, and technological sciences involved in research projects, which are focused on the issue of the human being as a key element and the prime mover of the transport system. The activities of these area are focused on the issues of basic research dealt with by close cooperation with renowned national and international universities, on transferring of obtained knowledge to practical applications designed for public administration as well as private sector, and on orders where investors require high quality and impartiality guaranteed by the status of an independent public research institution.
Research activities of thematic area are focused on the following activities:
- traffic safety regarding road users
- rehabilitation and prevention programmes for drivers,
- training and education in transport,
- naturalistic observation studies.
- transport planning and traffic modelling
- methodological solutions and performance of large transport-sociological research,
- statistical analysis of traffic behaviour data,
- transport demand modelling,
- design and administration of multimodal models for transport planning,
- application of agent technologies for transport modelling.
- traffic management
- design of information systems for support of decision-making process in transport,
- micro-simulation of traffic flow,
- impact of traffic information on road users’ traffic behaviour.
- urbanism and urban sociology
- life quality in urban areas,
- mobility of ageing population,
- social and economic consequences of suburbanization.
Area of transport development
The core activities of the thematic area comprise research, expertise and service activities for the Ministry of Transport and other organizational units of the state or for local authorities. It conducts research in the field of conceptual work in the development of the transport sector, road, integrated and combined transport, transport informatics and telematics, non-motor transport and cross-sectional issues in transportation.
Within its other activities, it provides consulting, information advisory, and service activities to other entities engaged in the transport sector:
- formation of transport policy, expert opinions on transport development projects for all transport sectors;
- examination of transport services provided in regions, solution proposals to these issues and their optimization;
- provision of background documentation for coordination of the national and departmental statistical surveys by the Ministry of Transport;
- it monitors and provides up-to-date development trends in the field of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS);
- educational programme of practical proposals for the support of non-motor transport, whether on the level of public administration, local governments or community interest groups;
- addressing cross-sectional issues of transport economics and pursuing conceptual activities in the planning of research in this area.
- Department of Traffic Psychology (O41)
- Department of Travel Behaviour Analyses and Transport Modelling (O42)
- Department of Road Transport and Intelligent Transport Systems (O44)
- Department of railway transport (O45)
- Psychological laboratory