The psychological laboratory helps with the traffic psychology diagnostics of drivers, including professional drivers.
It takes place on a computer, and when that part is over, an interview with a traffic psychologist follows.
For the testing, we use the Vienna test system, which belongs to the most advanced diagnostic tools in Czechia.
Traffic psychology examination
Why is it needed?
For the return of one's driver's license (e.g. after collecting all penalty points), it is necessary, among other conditions, to pass a traffic psychology examination (so-called drivers' psycho tests). The obligation to take a traffic psychology test is stated by the Act No 361/2000 Coll. (Road Traffic Act, §87a, section 3): The driver who appeals for the return of driver's license according the §123d is obliged to undergo traffic psychology examination.
When is the traffic psychology examination obligatory?
- For the purpose of returning a driver's license
- For drivers who collected all penalty points when applying for the return of their driver's license 12 months after collecting the points
- Since July 1st 2013, for drivers with a valid ban on driving
- After any ban on driving motor vehicles as part of criminal proceedings (trial)
- After a ban on driving given in administrative proceedings for at least six months (the length given in the verdict, not the de facto served ban since July 1st 2013 for drivers in suspended sentence)
- During the commitment to refrain from driving motor vehicles as part of suspended adjournment of the submission of punishment proposal or as part of suspended stopping of criminal proceedings
- For the purpose of employment and qualification gain
- For the holders of driver's license category C1E, C, CE if they drive an automotive truck or special automobile with the highest allowed weight over 7500 kg or semi-trailer truck or special automobile unit with its highest allowed weight exceeding 7500 kg
- Holders of driver's license category D1E, D or DE if they drive a vehicle belonging to one of these groups
- Professional drivers who must take the traffic psychology examination before the beginning of their work, also at the earliest six months before reaching the age of 50 and then every five years (The traffic psychology examination has to be presented at their regular medical exam, Act No 361/2000 Coll., §87a, section 1 and 2.)
- Driving instructors – before the test to obtain the professional certificate for driving instructors
- For the purpose of obtaining a driver's license
- At the request of a general physician – if the adjudicative physician requests such an examination
Who conducts the traffic psychology examination?
Since August 1st 2012 only a psychologist accredited by the Ministry of Transport is authorized to conduct the traffic psychology examination. Currently In the Czech Republic, there are approximately 260 accredited traffic psychologists.
What do you need for a traffic psychology exam?
- Personal ID
- Personal driver's file statement
- General physician's medical report of driver's medical fitness (not older than 30 days)
- Hearing aid or glasses if you use them
For the examination, you should arrive on time, rested, after a sufficient sleep, and in good physical and mental state.
Process of traffic psychology examination
The range, content and method of conducting the traffic psychology examination is set by §18c of the Ministry of Transport Bill No 31/2001 Coll., of driving licenses and drivers registry, as amended. It contains:
- An opening interview, during which the person under review is introduced to the conditions, process and purpose of the traffic psychology exam, confirms in writing that his/her physical and mental state allows the execution of the traffic psychology examination, and notifies of any previous traffic psychology examinations
- An examination of mental performance, its quality and quantity – intellect, attention (mainly its concentration, distribution and range), sensorimotor reactivity and coordination (mainly the speed and accuracy of sensorimotor reactions to a series of visual, or acoustic stimuli in a time-pressing situation), decision-making (particularly when it comes to speed and dependability in a time pressing situation), memory (mainly visual) and other mental functions, if need be
- xamination of personal characteristics, including mainly the examination of emotional stability, liability, impulsiveness, adaptive behavior, tendency to take risks, resistance to stress, psycho-pathological symptomatology and other personal characteristics, if need be
You will get the report with the results of the traffic psychology examination when the examination is over. The examined person can be:
- Mentally fit for the driving of motor vehicles
- Conditionally mentally fit for the driving of motor vehicles
- Mentally unfit for the driving of motor vehicles
In case of failure, the traffic psychology examination can be repeated in three months at the earliest. Unvarying copies of the report are mailed to your town hall (municipality with extended powers according to your residence), where it remains on record.